Are you searching for the best and reliable laptop for SolidWorks? If yes, then this article is for you. SolidWorks is a solid computer-aided design and computer-aided engineering software designed and developed by Dassault Systèmes. This program is especially for Windows operating system.
If you are working on SolidWorks and your laptop is struggling to offer you the performance, this guide is all you need. Our team of technical professionals has shortlisted the 10 best laptops for SolidWorks. This review is documented after intense use of the laptops; that’s why it will give you a better idea about which laptop you should buy.
But, if you are in a hurry, here are our top recommendations.
Review of 10 Best Laptops for SolidWorks
Further, while doing research about these laptops for SolidWorks. Explore the reviews below now to find the one that you need.
1. HP ZBook 15 G5
This is one of the most reliable laptops that comes on the preference list. In this laptop, you will get a Core i7 8850H processor that operates at a 2.6 GHz turbo clock frequency rate. This laptop will run your designing application seamlessly. It is equipped with 4GB GDDR5 Quadro P2000 VRAM, which is the basic requirement for SolidWorks. By choosing this laptop, you will achieve great multitasking.
- 9MB L3 cache memory for super-fast calculations
- Nvidia graphics with combo audio jack
- Fingerprint sensor for security
- Ethernet port not compatible to CAT cable
- The design is not much slimmer
- ▌Please Read Before Purchasing ▌This brand new laptop is upgraded from a base model. The manufacturer box is opened and resealed to install the parts to achieve the specifications as advertised. One-year warranty for upgraded RAM / SSD from Issaquah Highlands Tech. One-year original warranty for remaining components from HP. Intel Core i7-8850H (6 cores 12 threads, base clock speed 2.6GHz, max turbo to 4.3GHz, 9MB L3 Cache)
- 64GB DDR4-2400MHz RAM, 2 x 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- 15.6" FHD(1920x1080) Anti-glare Display, UHD 620 Graphics
- No Optical Drive, USB 3.1 Type-C Thunderbolt 3, 3 x USB 3.0, 1 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x RJ-45, 1 x Audio Combo Jack, 1 x Fingerprint reader, Backlit
- Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, Ideal for Student, Home, Professionals, Small Business, and School Education
See Also: Top 10 Best Monitors for Mac Mini
2. Lenovo ThinkPad P15S Workstation
Lenovo ThinkPad P15S is another great laptop that solves your issues of lagging. This laptop is the professional’s choice for the SolidWorks workstation. The graphics you will get along with the laptop are NVIDIA 4 GB GPU Quadro T1000 graphics, which offer seamless operations using SolidWorks. In this laptop, you will get Intel Core i7 9750H processor that operates at 2.6 GHz. Further, you will get 32 GB RAM and 12MB cache memory for faster calculations.
- It offers you 1 TB SSD
- 15.6-inch FHD
- Easy to upgrade the RAM in future
- Light in weight
- Price is higher
- Sometimes offers display issue
- 【Upgraded】 Seal is opened for Hardware/Software upgrade only to enhance performance. 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) 60Hz IPS Display; Wi-Fi 6E AX210 Wifi, Bluetooth 5.2, , 720p HD Webcam, Fingerprint Security System, Keyboard, .
- 【Powerful Performance with Intel Core i7-1165G7 Quad Core】 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 2.30GHz Processor (upto 4.7 GHz, 12MB Cache, 4-Cores) ; NVIDIA Quadro T500 4GB GDDR5 Dedicated Graphics, .
- 【High Speed and Multitasking】 16GB DDR4 RAM (16GB Onboard + 0GB SODIMM); 65W Power Supply, 3-Cell 57 WHr Battery; Black Color, .
- 【Enormous Storage】 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD; USB 3.2 Gen1, 1 HDMI, SD Reader, Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack., Windows 10 Pro-64., 1 Year Manufacturer warranty from GreatPriceTech (Professionally upgraded by GreatPriceTech)
- Includes Dockztorm USB Hub(Special Edition Portable Docztorm Data Hub;Super Speedy Data Syn Rate upto 5Gbps)
3. Razer Blade 15 Base
The Razer blade 15 base is worth investing in as it offers you a six-core processor from Intel. The 10th-generation processor offers you a turbo clock frequency rate higher than any other laptop. Despite speeding up in calculation, you will also love this laptop for its GPU; you will get 8 GB NVIDIA GeForce graphics for the seamless functioning of SolidWorks. This laptop comes with a 144Hz Full HD display that offers you an sRGB color gamut support.
- Ultra-smart advanced features
- Three thunder USB ports
- 7 hours of battery backup
- The sound quality is not much impressive
- Audio .exe files may not run on it
- More power: The 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H processor provides the ultimate level of performance with up to 5.0 GHz max turbo and 6 cores.
- Ray-tracing: The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design is powered by the NVIDIA Turing GPU architecture and brings cinematic-quality rendering to the most visually intense games.
- More frames: Incredible performance paired with the fast 144Hz 15. 6" full HD thin bezel display helps edge out the win.
- Thin and compact: The CNC aluminum unibody frame houses incredible performance in the most compact footprint possible, while remaining remarkably durable and just 0.78" thin.
- Ready to connect: Fully loaded with Wi-Fi 6, Gigabit Ethernet, Thunderbolt 3, USB type-A and type-C ports, and HDMI, for a desktop-class experience
4. ASUS ROG Zephyrus S
ASUS is always known for offering you technical advancements; this laptop has a core i7 processor,178 wide-angle display, and NVIDIA graphics for seamless performance. The RAM you will get along with the laptop is 16 GB, which is good for SolidWorks. If we talk about storage, then you will get a 512 GB SSD. This model also comes with a 1305 MHz turbo booster for a better speed in the calculation.
- Ergonomic design
- 16 GB RAM with upgrade availability
- Backlit keyboard
- Battery drains quickly
- Heats up quickly
- Activision call of Duty: black ops 4 game codes - offer valid 09/10/18–12/31/18, while supplies last. Go to the official ASUS site for FAQs, full terms and conditions, and to verify purchase for Redemption. See product description for additional information.
- 15.6” Full HD high refresh rate 144Hz 3ms IPS-Type Display with slim 6.5mm Bezel
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 *(with Max Q Technology)
- 8th-generation Intel Core i7-8750H (up to 3.9GHz) processor. Battery - 60WHrs, 4S1P, 4-cell Li-ion
- 0.62” thin, 4.6 lbs. ultraportable military-grade magnesium alloy body gaming Laptop with premium cover CNC-milled from Solid aluminum
5. HP OMEN
HP omen is another excellent choice for SolidWorks. This laptop offers you NVIDIA Geforce RTX; along with it, you will get a 6GB VRAM. This laptop also has a 10th generation core i7 processor. HP omen is specially designed to run CAD applications. Also, you will get an enhanced turbo boost technology with a clock frequency rate of 2.6 GHz; this adds up speed to the calculations.
- It comes with an AI-based feature
- 512 GB SSD storage
- Seamless support for 3D modeling
- The laptop is a bit heavier
- Portability also might be an issue
6. Dell G5 15
Dell G5 15 offers you everything that you require for your SolidWorks. Basically, it is a gaming laptop, but the configuration also supports the SolidWorks workstation; The laptop comes with a Core i7 processor along with 4GB Graphics. It has dual-fan cooling that doesn’t allow the laptop to get heated. Dell G5 15 comes with 16 GB DDR4 RAM for seamless multitasking. The storage you will get with the laptop is 256 GB of SSD.
- Robust core streaming
- Super-fast calculations
- Dual fan cooling
- Heavier in weight
- The sound is not good
- Lead the pack with an elegant sleek design that keeps heads turning
- An innovative dual-fan cooling system with an advanced thermal design ensures that your system stays cool as the action heats up
- 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) anti-Glare LED backlight non-touch narrow border IPS display
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with 4GB GDDR5 Graphics
- 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750h (12MB Cache, up to 4. 5 GHz, 6 Cores)
7. Lenovo Ideapad L340
Lenovo Ideapad L340 has been the bestselling laptop for its performance. This laptop is known for gaming. So, no doubt it would offer you no crash reports. L340 has proven best for CAD and photo designing. Also, it comes with an 8MB cache clearing capacity for a better speed in calculations. There are many other features you will get includes an i7 Processor, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1050 Graphics, 8 GB RAM, and 1 TB HDD.
- Ultra-powerful NVIDIA graphics
- Great design
- It appears with a 15.6 inches large display
- Only supports basic SolidWorks
- A new dimension of gaming performance awaits - with 9th-generation Intel Core i5 processors, the IdeaPad L340 gaming has the power you need to outshoot, outrun, and outsmart anyone. Includes 8GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB NVMe SSD
- Take it to the next level - With the latest NVIDIA GeForce Graphics behind you, you can tame the hottest titles with faster, smoother, and more power-efficient gameplay. Plus, the 15.6-Inch screen delivers a stunning full HD IPS Display with 1920 x 1080 resolution
- A portal to a new sound dimension - hardwired into every Idea Pad L340 gaming is advanced Dopoundsy audio technology. Take your mobile gaming experience to another dimension and have a real blast along the way
- Control your own fate - Game in 'quick' Mode or work in 'quiet' Mode. It's your call with a simple function setting that lets you shift gears between modes, instantly.
- Final product may vary slightly from image
8. ASUS TUF
ASUS TUF comes with some great features, and the configuration is suitable for SolidWorks. This laptop comes with AMD Ryzen 7 that operates at 4 GHz. With 8 GB DDR4 RAM, there is no chance of crashing issues. Along with it, this laptop offers you NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics. The storage space you will get is 512GB PCIe SSD, which makes it lag-proof while performing any SolidWorks task.
- It offers you a backlit keyboard
- Dual fans for instant cooling
- Nano-edge IPS type display
- It will demand upgradation
- Not for 3D modeling
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics
- Quad-core AMD Ryzen 7 3750H Processor
- 15.6” FHD (1920x1080) 120Hz IPS-Type display
- 512GB NVMe SSD | 8GB DDR4 RAM | Windows 10 Home
- Gigabit Wave 2 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
9. Microsoft Surface Book 2 HNQ-00001
The Microsoft Surface Book 2 is another great laptop that comes on the list because of its battery life. You will use it for up to 17 hours on a single charge. The laptop has a Core i7 processor and 6GB NVIDIA graphics that make your task seamless to perform. This laptop comes with a detachable screen, and you can also use it as a tab. With this laptop, you will get a surface pro pen that allows you to draw and create models on screens.
- Screen detachable to get maximum productivity
- 17 hours of battery life
- 15-inch pixel sense display
- RAM upgrade is tedious to achieve
- Bit expensive
- 13.5" TouchScreen (3000x2000) - Detachable and Flexible 360 Hinge Movement Foldable to a Tablet
- 8th Generation Intel Quad-Core i7-8650U 1.90 GHz (Turbo 4.20 GHz, 4 Cores 8 Threads, 8MB Smart Cache)
- 1 TB PCIe SSD | 16GB DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 vRAM
- Ambient light sensor | Proximity sensor | Accelerometer | Gyroscope | Magnetometer
- Windows 10 Professional Creators Edition - Up to 17 Hours Usage Max*
10. Dell XPS 15 7590 Laptop
This model from dell is known for its 4K resolution display. Dell XPS 15 7590 comes with a Core i7 processor that operates at 4.5 GHz. With 16 GB DDR4 RAM and 256 GB SSD, you can achieve multiple tasks at one time. This laptop from Dell is user-centric, as it is great for both SolidWorks and gaming. The added 4GB VRAM is another vital component that makes calculations easier and seamless for you.
- Faster CPU speed
- Great battery backup
- Thunderbolt USB
- Lower webcam quality
- Design is not much impressive
- 15. 6" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) OLED InfinityEdge anti-reflective Non-Touch 100% DCI-P3 400-Nits Display
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750h (12MB Cache, up to 4. 5 GHz, 6 Cores)
- 16GB DDR4-2666MHz, 2x8G
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
- Sd card reader, Thunderbolt, USB 3. 0
Buying Guide: How to Find the Best Laptop for SolidWorks?
Now that you know the top 10 best laptops for SolidWorks, it is essential for you now to know what factors you should consider while choosing one amongst the top 10. Further, as a consumer, you would always get the utmost satisfaction when you get the right features and hardware for your pay.
In such cases, before making a buying decision, you also need to do homework on the system, configuration, performance, and capacity. But with this article, you don’t need to do research. The buying guide will state to you what factors should pay importance before buying any laptop for SolidWorks.
Here are the factors that you need to consider while buying any best laptop for SolidWorks.
When it is about SolidWorks, then the processor of the laptop is its backbone. If you don’t have a good processor, your SolidWorks suite will collapse. The better your processor is, the better will be productivity while performing regular tasks. When working with SolidWorks application, the most common works include simulation, drawing, and modeling.
In such cases, as a user, you must prioritize the clock frequency rate of laptops. The minimal clock frequency rate that you need for your SolidWorks development is 2-3 GHz. The enhancement in the speed of the processor will always offer you calculation efficiency. Modeling, drawing, and simulation being the primary activity of SolidWorks, you need laptops with higher clock-rate efficiency.
Besides the clock rate frequency, you should also focus on the cores that you get. The cores that you require are 2-4 cores. When you achieve multiple cores on your laptop, you can complete your project in multiple tabs. This will reduce half your burden. Intel Core i5 and i7 are the most dependable choice for SolidWorks.
After the processor, the next most vital attribute is the RAM. The RAM in your laptop works temporary storage when you are performing any activity. When it is about using SolidWorks, temporary storage is inevitable. Most of the time, when you are working on a project, the temporary storage saves it before completion.
The RAM is the primary storage that stores your data with efficacy. Then in the later part, the CPU takes it back from the RAM. Thus, RAM is the one that helps you in quick accessing of data. Besides, if you are using SolidWorks for performing modeling, drawing, and simulation functions, then you require at least 8 GB of RAM.
However, when you are working on massive projects, you need more efficiency in the RAM space. The RAM will decide whether you can perform multiple tasks or not. Thus, to avoid lagging issues, 16-32 GB RAM space is optimum.
You must be well aware that SolidWorks demands a lot of data. Drawing, modeling, programs, and data management all these functions require maximum storage efficiency. However, if your laptop lack storage, you will end up reducing productivity with low-rate processing. Now speaking about the storage, you should always opt for SSD. This is because; SSD accelerates the retrieval speed of data.
Further, SolidWorks indulges large assemblies. This will demand a long time for loading and operation. Hence the optimal storage that you need in your laptop is 256-512 GB PCIe M.2 SSD. This offers you a reduction of lagging while performing any task. You can also go for better storage capacity if you require more in the future. However, choosing between SSD and HDD is your call. Professionals advise you for the SSD, as it stores more precisely.
Doing tasks in SolidWorks is not an easy job to pull out. You have to sit continuously for multiple hours. The shorter works take up to 2-3 hours, and the complex works may consume more time. In such cases, sitting continuously in one place is not practically possible. If you are using a laptop, you would definitely want a shift in your position. Thus, a lightweight laptop would always help you. A laptop with 2-4 lbs is great for SolidWorks.
The display is another vital factor that you need to consider. A laptop that you choose must have a display with a precise panel type. The resolution should also be higher with adaptive brightness technology available in it. When you are searching for a laptop for SolidWorks, there are certain criteria of display that you should look into.
You should always search for a laptop with a good contrast level. The color gamut support should be maximum, and you should also make certain about the IPS panel. The IPS panel type plays a major role in enhancing the visibility, color, display, quality, and viewing angle. When you are performing tasks on SolidWorks, then giving priority to display is much important.
Further, if you are using it for SolidWorks, it would be better to go for a full HD display as it supports margins and will support all types of fonts. The screen resolution that you should expect out of your display is 1920X1080 pixels. Thus, you should also expect the same in the laptop that you choose.
The next most vital thing to consider is the battery as you know that when you are working on SolidWorks, you need to work and perform tasks for longer hours. In such cases, you cannot always sit near an electrical socket. Thus, the battery backup you need to expect from your laptop is at least 5-6 hours. Make sure you enquire about the battery capacity while buying any laptop.
7. Operating System:
The operating system in a laptop is a communicating source with the hardware of the system. It also helps you run your application. In such cases, if you want to run the SolidWorks applications, you need to have a robust operating system. In the case of SolidWorks, Windows 10 is the most dependable one. The experts also recommend the same as it offers you seamless operations and functions.
Now that you know the factors you need to consider while buying a laptop for SolidWorks, here are some of your FAQs answered.
Frequently Asked Questions
All the laptops mentioned above are the best for SolidWorks. However, the professional would recommend the HP Zbook 15 G5. This laptop model is the perfect choice for performing SolidWorks.
The SolidWorks applications include rendering, modeling, drawing, and simulation. All these tasks need CPU and GPU both. The gaming laptops include both these, so yes, you can use gaming laptops for SolidWorks.
Your current model of laptop will run SolidWorks if it has the following configurations:
8-16 GB RAM
2GB GPU Space
2-3 GHz multiple processors
Yes! 8GB ram is enough. However, it is a minimal requirement for SolidWorks
Having 16GB RAM is perfect for laptops if you are performing SolidWorks in it.
i5 is the minimal requirement for SolidWorks. You can start with i5; however, in the future, you may have to upgrade.
No! The SolidWorks run on Windows 10 pro and enterprise edition. Thus, you need the same on your laptop.
Keeping it short, this is the in-detail review about the top 10 best laptops for SolidWorks. Now you can easily choose the one you need. However, if you don’t want to struggle while performing on SolidWorks programs, you should consider all the factors mentioned in the buying guide. This will aid you in making the best buying decision.
If this post has helped you, you can leave your feedback in the comment section. You can also suggest more ideas and products. We hope this article about the best laptop for SolidWorks is helpful to you, do share this content on social media if you find it useful for you in any manner. Please stay connected with us for future updates.